NeuroticPlanet Home | About OCD | OCD Treatments | Anxiety Disorders | Spectrum Disorders | Eating Disorders
Online Therapy | Getting Help for OCD | Gay Fears | Books | Site Policies | Search | BrainPhysics

Groinal Response

Talk about sexual OCD, homosexuality fears (HOCD), and related topics. Warning: discussion may be explicit.

Groinal Response

Postby Guest on Wed May 10, 2006 9:47 pm

I talked t my therapist about the sensations I have in my groin in regards to threatning situations like being around other males. I was happy to hear that this is very common. SHe says that i sexualize my anxieties. She gave me a comparison that I really don't remember, but all I know is that it is not true arousal even though sometimes it might feel good.

Postby Guest on Wed May 10, 2006 11:28 pm

The funny thing about anxiety is that it is linked with sexual arousal in the brain, they reside in the same part of the brain. So when you feel anxiety that is why sometimes you get a groinal response, the biggest problem for us HOCD sufferers is that we are hypervigilant about what is going on in our groin. So even though the tingling has nothing to do with sexual arousal we label it that and feel it anyway. OCD is a monster with many heads.

Postby x-cide on Thu May 11, 2006 5:24 am

A negative groinal response... your balls tingle, happens to me sometimes, I usually get a response in my leg too, like it's trying to protect my jewels... problem is i then end up looking like i'm sticking my ass out... which doesn't help either, makes me feel worse... but it's same response that I would have if someone tried to kick me in the balls... instintual response that tells me, NO, THIS IS NOT COOL, PROTECT YOURSELF... knee jerk reaction...
X-Cide

If beauty is truth and truth beauty, but beauty is in the eye of the beholder, is it not safe to assume that truth is in the eye of the beholder?
x-cide
Regular
Regular

Postby Guest on Thu May 11, 2006 5:27 pm

can a groinal response also be felt in your wang?

Postby GUEST on Thu May 11, 2006 6:32 pm

I am the original poster. When I was younger I actually ejaculated due to anxiety.

Postby James on Sat May 13, 2006 10:48 pm

Hi,

The therapists I have talked to have said a similar thing - that our obsessions become classified as "sexual thoughts" by our brains and that this association triggers an automatic sexual response. I think this may manifest itself in a variety of ways, from tingling sensations to erections or even ejaculation. I have experienced erections at times when the thoughts become "out of control", i.e. my anxiety levels are really high. Needless to say, this particularly upsets me, and I'm only now coming to understand it.

A great article (that should be spike-free) is Thinking Bad Thoughts by Dr. Osgood-Hynes. Do a google search for Thinking Bad Thoughts and OCD, and it should be the first thing that comes up. In particular this article mentions that many people with sexual obsessions experience some degree of physiological arousal with their obsessions.
James

Groinal responses

Postby English visitor on Mon May 15, 2006 9:44 am

Hello

I'm a middle-aged HOCD sufferer from the UK. Posted quite a while back.

I was interested to hear this views on how anxiety can become sexualised. If it's any reassurance to anyone, I can tell you that as I child I used to masturbate (believing it to be very wrong). When adults where coming upstairs I would get very scared of discovery. BUT - I also got of on the fear. Or perhaps, to be more exact, the fear prompted an orgasmic response.

So I think it's very possible that others may have developed a physiological sexual response to anxiety and fear.

Your posts reassure me. I hope mine reassures you.
English visitor

Return to Sexual Obsessions & Compulsions